Shortness of breath and wheezing can be frightening and breathing difficulties can keep you from living your fullest life. Pulmonologists are specially trained to treat lung disease and illnesses of the respiratory system. So when your cough from the flu or pneumonia doesn’t improve, we’re here to help. Our board-certified pulmonary specialist will work with you to find a treatment plan that meets your individual needs, as well as fits your lifestyle.
Common conditions treated include:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) including chronic bronchitis, emphysema, or both – This condition can prevent your lungs from getting enough air. Because oxygen levels in your blood can get too low, your doctor may prescribe oxygen therapy.
- Asthma – This recurring condition is caused when your airways narrow and swell producing extra mucus, making breathing difficult, triggering coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath
- Pulmonary fibrosis – This condition occurs when lung tissue becomes damaged and scarred, making it difficult for your lungs to work correctly.
- Interstitial lung disease
- Pulmonary edema
- Pulmonary embolism
- Sleep apnea
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Lung nodules
- Pneumothorax lung cancer
Depending on your needs, our pulmonologist may schedule special tests to diagnose your concerns and create a treatment and next-steps plan for you. Two such tests are:
- Pulmonary Function Test- Assess your ability to breathe and how capable your lungs are in delivering oxygen to the rest of your body.
- Bronchoscopy- Examines your lungs for any abnormalities.
Don’t suffer from chronic breathing problems. Call our board-certified pulmonologist, Anthony Vacca, DO, to discuss options to help breathe life back into your daily activities.